I was just discussing the merits of what is essentially a “just-in-time” delivery system for the iTunes App Store. My question: “Why can’t you do the same thing with the auto industry?”
Here’s my proposal:
– Dismantle all the dealerships
– Order your vehicle on-line. Completely customizable. Vehicle is delivered TO YOUR DOOR within 30 days of order/funding.
– Vehicle is fully refundable within 15 days of purchase (some restrictions apply)
– Hertz/Avis/etc provide an outlet for the manufacturers for people to test-drive the vehicles
– Independent mechanics are certified by manufacturers on an annual basis to service vehicles
– Parts purchasing is entirely on-line